Fire porcelain, stoneware, china, ceramics, and decals in Paragon’s digital Caldera XL. Test glazes and glaze application ideas before running production quantities in a large studio kiln.
You will never outgrow a small kiln. If you acquire a larger kiln later, continue to use the Caldera XL for testing or small projects. Carry it with you to seminars or on vacation; hand lifts on the sides aid in moving.
Built to Last
The firebrick corners are fitted together with L-shaped notches for extra strength. This type of joint lasts longer than the butted joint and the "picture frame" mitered joint found on competitive brands.
The Type-K thermocouple, which reads the firing chamber temperature, is protected in a high-nickel stainless steel sheath for long life. A heavy steel base supports the reversible brick bottom. No extra stand is needed. Use the switch on the front panel to turn off power to the controller when the kiln is not in use.
Both sides of the lid and top rim of sidewall firebricks are hardened and sealed with a refractory coating to protect the ware from dust. The firing chamber, including the lid and bottom, is made of 3" thick firebricks, 20% thicker than standard 2 1/2" bricks.
The Caldera XL has dual mechanical relays for extra reliability. They turn on power to the elements. Two relays last longer than the single relay of competitive kilns because of the reduced amperage going through each relay.
Heating elements are made from the finest high-temperature wire available. Paragon uses heat-dissipating element connectors refined and proven over many years in our kilns. The stainless steel case and lid band include case tighteners for easy maintenance.
The Caldera XL control box is painted with a durable high temperature, water-base finish. We use water-base paint because of the low emissions during spraying. This creates a safer working environment for our employees and cuts down on pollution.
The Caldera can ship by UPS. Enjoy a lower shipping cost and faster service. Specially designed cartons and foam padding assure that the kiln will arrive safely.
The Convenience of Digital Firing
The reliable solid-state Sentry Xpress controller continually monitors the firing so you do not need to watch it closely. (Please remember, however, to check the kiln occasionally during firing and to monitor it near the expected shutoff time.) You can try out a demonstration of the controller on your computer by clicking here. Practice using the controller before you even buy the kiln.
Paragon’s innovative controller will help you achieve consistent firing results. The user-friendly controller has powerful features that you will enjoy.
The Sentry Xpress controller fires in either Ramp-Hold or Cone-Fire mode. Control both heating and cooling with simple 3-key operation.
Features of the Sentry Xpress 3-key Controller for Ceramic Kilns
- Fire to a pyrometric cone by merely entering cone number and slow, medium, or fast speed.
- Use Program Review to check the accuracy of the program you are about to fire.
- Set a temperature alarm to remind yourself to close a vented lid or check the kiln at a certain temperature.
- Design Ramp-Hold programs with up to 8 segments (steps).
- Skip a segment in Ramp-Hold during firing.
- Hold (soak) the temperature in both Cone-Fire and Ramp-Hold.
- Control both heating and cooling in Ramp-Hold.
- Add hold time in Ramp-Hold during firing.
- Change the target temperature in Ramp-Hold during firing.
- Temperature Display throughout firing and cooling in your choice of °F or °C
- Thermocouple Offset adjusts the thermocouple readout.
- Set the Delay to turn on the kiln later to suit your busy schedule.
- Error Messages report mechanical problems such as a disconnected thermocouple, stuck relay or broken element.
- LED Lights show whether you are in program, review, or firing mode.
- Colorful, illustrated instruction manual. Download it from the “Additional Information" section below to review these features in more detail.
Made in America
The Caldera XL is proudly made in America by skilled workers. Many of them have been with us for over a decade.
The heat of the kiln offers wonderful surprises. Glazes undergo a complete transformation in the kiln. Opening a kiln to view your masterpieces is a joy you will never outgrow. Get your family involved and create priceless memories using your kiln.